The remaining two bodies of Italian nationals who drowned in last week's scuba diving accident in the Maldives have been recovered, local officials say.

Government spokesman Mohamed Hossain Shareef told the BBC they would be flown to the capital Malé for further repatriation to Italy. The foreign ministry in Rome confirmed the bodies had been brought to the surface.

They were among five Italians who died at an underwater cave last Thursday. The other three bodies had already been recovered.

It is said to be the worst diving accident in the tiny Indian Ocean nation, a popular tourist destination because of its coral islands.

A Maldivian rescue diver died during a search operation on Saturday.

The first body of an Italian diver, who was a member of the group, was recovered shortly after Thursday's accident near Vaavu atoll. He has been named by Italian media as boat operations manager and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti.

The four missing divers were eventually found by Finnish divers on Monday in the chamber of the cave furthest from the entrance. Known locally as "shark cave", it is up to 60m (197 ft) deep.

Two bodies were recovered on Tuesday, and the final two on Wednesday.

It is hoped that discovering the bodies will provide clues as to the cause of the accident.

The recovery operation was described as complex because of the depth of the cave and the lack of space and visibility. The entrance to the cave lies at a depth of 47m but the various chambers are at varying depths.

The Finnish divers were working with local police and coastguard, and officials said on Tuesday that while the specialist team brought the bodies to a depth of 30m, the coastguard divers had taken over the operation from that point.

The weather at the time of the dive on Thursday was described as rough and a  yellow warning had been issued for passenger boats and fishermen.

Four of the divers were affiliated with the University of Genoa, which told the BBC that it did not give approval for any kind of deep-sea dive as part of their scientific research.

"The requests submitted to the Maldivian authorities... were evidently made outside the scope of the mission authorised by the university," a spokesperson said. The dive was carried out "in a personal capacity", the spokesperson added, and not part of the research.

The university has said that it had suspended authorisation for any dives for scientific purposes - regardless of their depth - in March 2024, in accordance with a ministerial decree from that month giving guidelines for underwater dives.

The statement said the university is currently developing an internal protocol to govern its procedures, in compliance with those regulations.

A Maldivian government spokesperson told the BBC that the team had a permit to dive to a depth of 50m but had not mentioned the cave in their proposal.

The team was led by Monica Montefalcone, who was associate professor of ecology at Genoa University, along with research fellow Muriel Oddenino, who were looking at the effects of climate change on tropical biodiversity.

The other two divers in the cave were Montefalcone's daughter Giorgia Sommacal, a student at Genoa, and recent graduate Federico Gualtieri.

Sommacal's father Carlo has been highly critical of the university's statement that the cave dive led by his wife was unauthorised.

"Monica [Montefalcone], according to many, is the person who has the most scientific literature on those corals in the world," he told La Repubblica newspaper. "There are hundreds of graduate students writing theses on the Maldives using the data they gather together with Monica, or that Monica gathered. And no one knew anything? It makes me laugh."

France and Italy are among the countries that have criticised a video showing Itamar Ben-Gvir taunting dozens of activists detained at an Israeli port.

Eight people were injured, four seriously, before passers-by gave chase and stopped the man.

The Princess of Wales received an enthusiastic welcome from Italian crowds, on her return to overseas visits following her treatment for cancer.

Reports had suggested the countries were set to follow the example of Greece, which effectively suspended biometric checks for UK nationals.

Trump lashed out at the pope for condemning the conflict in the Middle East, as his secretary of state heads to the Vatican.