huffpost Press
Trump Reveals Regrets, Judge Throws Luigi Mangione A Bone: Live Updates
Images
President Donald Trump said he's asking the Justice Department to investigate Maryland and its governor, Wes Moore, for allegedly sending out "Illegal Mail In Ballots." WBAL reports the state plans to replace mail-in ballots that were already sent ahead of the June primary election because some voters had received ballots for the wrong party due to a vendor error. Trump previously posted about the situation in Maryland on Saturday, using the moment to push for passage of the SAVE America Act. CBS News reports Jared DeMarinis, the Maryland State Administrator of Elections, sought "to assure the President, voters, and the public that NO Fake Mail-in ballots were distributed." "The wording in President Trump's post regarding Maryland's election seeks to mislead, sow distrust, and create misinformation," DeMarinis said. Citing an internal document, Reuters reports Meta plans to lay off 10% of its workforce beginning 4 a.m. Wednesday, doing so in three waves. With a headcount of around 78,000 employees, that would add up to around 8,000 people losing their jobs. The document said the layoffs will coincide with large-scale organizational changes, including shifting 7,000 employees to AI-related workflows and eliminating managerial roles. Kevin Warsh will succeed Jerome Powell as chair of the Federal Reserve, but President Donald Trump might not get the blind loyalty he’s hoping for. HuffPost senior reporter Paul Blumenthal explains. President Donald Trump says he has called off a "planned Military attack" on Iran that was scheduled to begin tomorrow, claiming in a social media post the delay was requested by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. "Serious negotiations are now taking place, and … in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond,” Trump posted. The president added that a key tenet of the deal will include "NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN." (Never mind that Trump claimed last year to have already achieved that via a bombing campaign that "completely and totally obliterated" Iran’s nuclear weapons program.) Trump closed the message by threatening that an attack could still nevertheless occur at any time. “We will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow,” he wrote. “But have … instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.” An American working as a medical missionary in Democratic Republic of Congo has tested positive for Ebola, the Christian aid group Serge said Monday. The missionary, Dr. Peter Stafford, was exposed while treating patients at Nyankunde Hospital, where he has worked with the aid group since 2023, said Serge in a statement. Two other physicians who had been working with him, including his wife, remain asymptomatic, the group said. At a campaign event for former Navy SEAL Ed Gallrein, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said that Rep. Thomas Massie should be voted out in Tuesday's Republican primary for Kentucky because President Donald Trump "needs people willing to help him win" – confirming other loyalists' recent comments that the current GOP is the party of Trump, regardless of what constituents need. "President Trump does not need more people in Washington who are trying to make a point, especially from his own party. He needs people willing to help him win, to vote with him when it matters the most," Hegseth, who has faced ethics concerns over getting involved in electoral politics, said Monday. The Pentagon chief said he was at the event in Hebron, Kentucky, as a private citizen. Trump has spent the past year attacking Massie, a staunch conservative, for voting against the Big, Beautiful Bill, leading efforts to release the Epstein files and opposing the Iran war that Hegseth and the president involved the U.S. in. "Too often Thomas Massie has acted like his job is to stand apart from the movement that President Trump leads instead of strengthening it," Hegseth said. "When President Trump needs backup, Massie wants to debate process. When the movement needs unity, especially at the biggest moments, Massie's willing to vote with Democrats." The president has endorsed Gallrein, who throughout his campaign refused to debate Massie. Polls show the incumbent is still leading in the race. A U.S. jury on Monday ruled against Elon Musk in his lawsuit against OpenAI, finding the artificial intelligence company not liable to the world’s richest person for having allegedly strayed from its original mission to benefit humanity. In a unanimous verdict, the jury in Oakland, California federal court said Musk had brought his case too late. Read more, via Reuters: A fully-functional arcade game satirizing President Donald Trump's disastrous war of choice in Iran is moving from the D.C. War Memorial to a new location just minutes away from the president's Mar-A-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida. The installation was created by a group known Secret Handshake and it is their first foray outside of Washington, D.C. The arcade game will be at MTN SPACE in Lake Worth Beach, Florida for the next five days. In the last year, the group has erected a number of statues around Washington, D.C. including 12-foot high statues memorializing Trump's friendship with the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. A spokesperson for Secret Handshake told HuffPost that as of Monday, over 250,000 people have played the game, "Operation Epic Furious" online. Kevin Warsh, President Donald Trump’s pick to replace Jerome Powell as chair of the U.S. Federal Reserve, will be sworn in Friday in a ceremony at the White House, according to a report Monday on Fox Business. Breaking with precedent, Trump has long sought to impose his political will on the independent government agency and repeatedly tried to strong-arm Powell into lowering rates, contrary to what economic data suggested would be wise. Warsh will likely face even more pressure from the president. WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump has settled his private lawsuit seeking $10 billion in damages from his own administration over its alleged mistreatment of him. In exchange for dropping his lawsuit, the Justice Department has agreed to set up a billion-dollar “anti-weaponization fund” to create what the department called “a systematic process to hear and redress claims of others who suffered weaponization and lawfare.” Read more here: An adult in Colorado has died after a confirmed case of hantavirus that is not linked to a recent outbreak aboard a cruise ship in the Atlantic, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment officials said in a statement on Monday. The strain of hantavirus that caused the Colorado death occurs regularly in Colorado at this time of year, the statement said, and officials are investigating the source of exposure. Read more, via Reuters: President Donald Trump is escalating his attacks against Rep. Thomas Massie, demanding his followers vote out the "worst Congressman in the long and storied history of the Republican Party" in Kentucky's primary on Tuesday. "He is an obstructionist and a fool," Trump posted Monday morning on Truth Social. "Vote him out of office tomorrow, Tuesday. It will be a great day for America!" Despite being a staunch conservative, Massie has drawn the president's ire after voting against Trump-endorsed spending bills, opposing his wars and pushing for the Justice Department to release government files on Trump's friend, the late sex abuser Jeffrey Epstein. Trump responded by recruiting former Navy SEAL Ed Gallrein to unseat Massie in Tuesday's primary, which will serve as the latest test on whether a hand-picked candidate is enough for the president to get rid of his critics in office. Still, polls have shown there's still a solid chance the incumbent representing northern Kentucky can survive Trump's campaign to oust him. May 18 (Reuters) - The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Monday it has introduced measures aimed at reducing the risk of Ebola in the United States, including enhanced screening and monitoring of travelers from areas affected by Ebola outbreaks. The immediate risk to the public is low, the CDC said. (Reporting by Susan Heavey, writing by Michelle Nichols; editing by Katharine Jackson) A former corrections officer who was one of the last people to see Jeffrey Epstein alive in a New York City prison is scheduled to testify today before the House Oversight Committee. Tova Noel was seen arriving to answer questions behind closed doors about the convicted sex offender’s death amid lawmakers’ review of the federal government’s handling of the case and allegations of mismanagement. Noel’s appearance follows Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick's appearance before the committee earlier this month to take questions about his ties to Epstein. Several Democrats on the committee accused Lutnick of lying about his relationship to protect the Trump administration. HAPPENING NOW: Former Epstein prison guard Tova Noel arrives at the House Oversight Committee’s closed-door transcribed interview.The Metropolitan Correctional Center prison guard was on duty the night Jeffrey Epstein died in 2019 and believes she was the last person to see him… pic.twitter.com/fklp8YsMQx The White House Correspondents' Association's board has "unanimously" agreed to host a redo of the White House Correspondents' Dinner that ended abruptly after someone allegedly attempted to assassinate President Donald Trump. “As I’ve said to my members, allowing that night to have the final word during a year when all we’re talking about are the pillars of our democracy, I don’t think we can do nothing,” Weijia Jiang, president of the White House Correspondents' Association (WHCA), told the Columbia Journalism Review in an interview published Monday. “The board unanimously agreed that we have to do something—whether that’s just an event to execute our program, which includes awards and scholarships, or a dinner. I don’t think that just letting it pass and letting that be the final word is an option.” Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel warned Monday that any military aggression against the island nation by the U.S. would result in a “bloodbath.” The warning follows a report that Cuba is considering drone attacks against the U.S. Diaz-Canel, in a statement, denied that Cuba poses a threat or has aggressive plans or intentions against any country, including the U.S. “Cuba, which already endures a multidimensional aggression from the U.S., does have the absolute and legitimate right to defend itself against a military onslaught,” he added. Axios, citing a review of classified intelligence, reported Sunday that Cuba has acquired more than 300 military drones amid plans to attack the U.S. base at Guantanamo Bay, U.S. military vessels, and possibly Key West, Fla. Las amenazas de agresión militar contra #Cuba de la mayor potencia del planeta son conocidas.Ya la amenaza constituye un crimen internacional. De materializarse, provocará un baño de sangre de consecuencias incalculables, más el impacto destructivo para la paz y la estabilidad… A New York state judge threw alleged UnitedHealthcare CEO killer Luigi Mangione a bone at a hearing Monday, determining that key pieces of evidence are barred from the trial because of the way local police in Altoona, Pennsylvania, handled his arrest. Critically, however, Judge Gregory Carro ruled that a handgun found in Mangione’s backpack and a red notebook containing alleged references to Brian Thompson’s murder will be allowed as evidence at trial. Read more here: President Donald Trump on Monday moved to withdraw his $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his tax returns after reports that his administration was poised to create a fund to compensate some of his allies. The disclosure was made in a filing in federal court in Florida, where the lawsuit was filed last year. ABC News first reported last week that Trump was prepared to drop his lawsuit as part of a deal that would create a $1.7 billion fund to pay allies of the president who believe they were wrongly investigated and prosecuted. Read more from the Associated Press: One of four Canadians who traveled on the cruise ship at the center of a hantavirus outbreak tested positive for the virus over the weekend, with the total number of reported cases now at 11, health officials said. The Canadian case was confirmed through laboratory testing on Saturday. A person who was traveling with the infected individual tested negative for the virus, the Public Health Agency of Canada said in a statement. “There have been no further cases identified at this time. All high-risk contacts are isolating and will continue to be monitored closely by local public health,” the health agency said. There are now nine confirmed and two probable cases as of Monday, said the World Health Organization’s director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who announced the ship’s remaining crew members are starting a 42-day quarantine. This quarantine follows the ship arriving in the Netherlands on Monday. The ship will now undergo a full cleaning and disinfection, he said in a statement. Pleased to see the next step go smoothly as the MV Hondius arrived in the #Netherlands today. The remaining crew, who sailed the ship from the Canary Islands, will now begin a 42-day quarantine period, and the ship will undergo full cleaning and disinfection. There have been… pic.twitter.com/Tyd9wNRHfc President Donald Trump is reportedly in talks to install a permanent helipad at the White House as a solution to Marine One damaging the lawn. The helipad could be added to the South Lawn as early as this summer, The Washington Post reported, citing people familiar with the issue. The Wall Street Journal first reported the construction talks. Spain’s High Court has acquitted Colombian pop star Shakira of tax fraud and overturned the 55 million euro ($64 million) fine imposed in 2021 by the Spanish tax agency, according to a court document seen by Reuters on Monday. Acting on an appeal by the “Hips Don’t Lie” singer, the court ordered the Treasury to reimburse her with over 60 million euros ($70 million), including interest, Shakira’s defense said. The judge ruled that authorities had failed to prove that Shakira spent more than 183 days in Spain in 2011, as required by Spanish law to be considered a tax resident in the country. It does not affect tax years after 2011. Read more from Reuters: By entering your email and clicking Sign Up, you're agreeing to let us send you customized marketing messages about us and our advertising partners. You are also agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.